Sunday, September 14, 2008

Why is northwest Ohio so windy?: The untapped resource


As I sat in my living room watching the treetops sway violently, I couldn't help but ask myself, why am I living in the windiest and flattest place in Ohio? I think ONU should feel obligated to let people know they are moving to a giant wind tunnel, and that "The Tundra" isn't really a nickname, but a description of the local ecosystem.

HOWEVER, this brings up a good point that I haven't thought about in a minute, but has crossed my mind a few times, why doesnt northwest Ohio employ the use of wind turbines for GREEN energy? Somewhat surprisingly, I'm not the first person to think this. Even more surprising, Bowling Green already has several wind turbines that are being used for research purposes.

I hope this turns out to be a viable resource for everyday people in the area (so living here may actually seem worth it). Fortunately, some positive results seem to be popping up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent point! I've said this since I was a freshman making that unbearable trek across campus. If ONU invested in wind turbines we could power this wasteful campus and sell the excess to the community. We have the wind, now we need to use our brains.

Amber's blog said...

Very interesting...I loved how you posted a link to another blog! I never really thought about using wind turbines, but here on campus they would be useful and seeing as it's always windy they wouldn't go to waste. The only thing that may be somewhat of an issue is where to put them. Right in the middle of the tundra would probably look extremely tacky, but since our campus is fairly large I'm sure there is room. Nonetheless, I wish there was a way we could propose this idea to the campus and get feedback.

caity said...

Whoa. I know this post was made a while ago, but just had to comment. Northwest Ohio IS sooo windy... why doesn't anyone warn you about it when you move here?? I live in a rancher between Perrysburg and BG and the wind has just been insane, especially in the fall-spring. Glad to know at least someone else has noticed... ;)